Anne L. Foundas, M.D., F.A.A.N.
Executive Director, Brain Institute of Louisiana
Dr. Foundas is the Executive Director of the Brain Institute of Louisiana, Managing Partner of NOLA Brain and Behavior, and Research Professor in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge. She received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from Wellesley College, Medical Degree from Louisiana State University in New Orleans, and completed residency and fellowship training in Neurology, and Cognitive and Behavioral Neurology at the University of Florida College of Medicine in Gainesville.
Dr. Foundas has extensive experience in graduate and undergraduate medical education. Many of her students have become leaders in academic and healthcare settings. She served as Director of the Neurology Residency Training Program at the Tulane University School of Medicine, Vice-Chair of Clinical Research in the Department of Neurology at the LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans, and Chair of the Department of Neurology at the University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine in Kansas City, Missouri.
Her clinical practice focuses on patients with memory and cognitive disorders. Her research is designed to learn how atypical brain architecture leads to developmental disorders of speech and language, and how brain aging can be enhanced through early detection and treatment of memory problems. Our current strategy is to use this information to develop innovative treatment programs to enhance speech function, language learning, and memory in brain-injured patients. Dr. Foundas’ research program has been funded by local, state, and national funding agencies, including the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Neumann K, Foundas AL. From locations to networks: Can brain imaging inform treatment of stuttering? J Fluency Disord. 2018 Mar;55:1-5. PubMed PMID: 29054456.
- Knaus TA, Kamps J, Foundas AL, Tager-Flusberg H. Atypical PT anatomy in children with autism spectrum disorder with expressive language deficits. Brain Imaging Behav. 2017 Dec 19. PubMed PMID: 29260380.
- Goedert KM, Chen P, Foundas AL, Barrett AM. Frontal lesions predict response to prism adaptation treatment in spatial neglect: A randomised controlled study. Neuropsychol Rehabil. 2018 Mar 20:1-22. PubMed PMID: 29558241.
- Knaus TA, Burns C, Kamps J, Foundas AL. Atypical activation of action-semantic network in adolescents with autism spectrum disorder. Brain Cogn. 2017 Oct;117:57-64. PubMed PMID: 28629645.
- Mock JR, Foundas AL, Golob EJ. Cortical activity during cued picture naming predicts individual differences in stuttering frequency. Clin Neurophysiol. 2016 Sep;127(9):3093-3101. PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5053619.
- Knaus TA, Kamps J, Foundas AL. Handedness in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder. Percept Mot Skills. 2016 Apr;122(2):542-59. PubMed PMID: 27166333.
- Sacchetti DL, Goedert KM, Foundas AL, Barrett AM. Ipsilesional neglect: behavioral and anatomical correlates. Neuropsychology. 2015 Mar;29(2):183-90. PubMed PMID: 25180980; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4345155.
- Mock JR, Foundas AL, Golob EJ. Speech preparation in adults with persistent developmental stuttering. Brain and Language. 2015 Oct;149:97-105. PubMed PMID: 26197258; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4586364.
- Goedert KM, Chen P, Boston RC, Foundas AL, Barrett AM. Presence of Motor-Intentional Aiming Deficit Predicts Functional Improvement of Spatial Neglect With Prism Adaptation. Neurorehabil Neural Repair. 2014 Jun;28(5):483-93. PubMed PMID: 24376064; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4074266.
- Foundas AL, Mock JR, Cindass R Jr, Corey DM. Atypical caudate anatomy in children who stutter. Percept Mot Skills. 2013 Apr;116(2):528-43. PubMed PMID: 24032328.
- Foundas AL, Mock JR, Corey DM, Golob EJ, Conture EG. The SpeechEasy device in stuttering and nonstuttering adults: fluency effects while speaking and reading. Brain Lang. 2013 Aug;126(2):141-50. PubMed PMID: 23712191.
- Foundas AL. Apraxia: neural mechanisms and functional recovery. Handb Clin Neurol. 2013;110:335-45. Review. PubMed PMID: 23312653.
- Knaus TA, Tager-Flusberg H, Mock J, Dauterive R, Foundas AL. Prefrontal and occipital asymmetry and volume in boys with autism spectrum disorder. Cognitive and Behavioral Neurol. 2012 Dec;25(4):186-94. PubMed PMID: 23277139.
- Mock JR, Zadina JN, Corey DM, Cohen JD, Lemen LC, Foundas AL. Atypical brain torque in boys with developmental stuttering. Dev Neuropsychol. 2012;37(5):434-52. doi: 10.1080/87565641.2012.661816. PubMed PMID: 22799762; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5537737.
- Daniels SK, Schroeder MF, DeGeorge PC, Corey DM, Foundas AL, Rosenbek JC. Defining and measuring dysphagia following stroke. Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2009 Feb;18(1):74-81. PubMed PMID: 18930911.
- Daniels SK, Schroeder MF, McClain M, Corey DM, Rosenbek JC, Foundas AL. Dysphagia in stroke: Development of a standard method to examine swallowing recovery. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2006 May-Jun;43(3):347-56. PubMed PMID: 17041820.
- Foundas AL, Corey DM, Hurley MM, Heilman KM. Verbal dichotic listening in right and left-handed adults: laterality effects of directed attention. Cortex. 2006 Jan;42(1):79-86. PubMed PMID: 16509111.
- Foundas AL, Corey DM, Angeles V, Bollich AM, Crabtree-Hartman E, Heilman KM. Atypical cerebral laterality in adults with persistent developmental stuttering. Neurology. 2003 Nov 25;61(10):1378-85. PubMed PMID: 14638959.
- Hanna-Pladdy B, Heilman KM, Foundas AL. Cortical and subcortical contributions to ideomotor apraxia: analysis of task demands and error types. Brain. 2001 Dec;124(Pt 12):2513-27. PubMed PMID: 11701604.
- Corey DM, Hurley MM, Foundas AL. Right and left handedness defined: a multivariate approach using hand preference and hand performance measures. Neuropsychiatry Neuropsychol Behav Neurol. 2001 Jul-Sep;14(3):144-52. PubMed PMID: 11513097.
- Foundas AL, Bollich AM, Corey DM, Hurley M, Heilman KM. Anomalous anatomy of speech-language areas in adults with persistent developmental stuttering. Neurology. 2001 Jul 24;57(2):207-15. PubMed PMID: 11468304.
- Foundas AL, Macauley BL, Raymer AM, Maher LM, Rothi LJ, Heilman KM. Ideomotor apraxia in Alzheimer disease and left hemisphere stroke: limb transitive and intransitive movements. Neuropsychiatry Neuropsychol Behav Neurol. 1999 Jul;12(3):161-6. PubMed PMID: 10456799.
- Daniels SK, Foundas AL. The role of the insular cortex in dysphagia. Dysphagia. 1997 Summer;12(3):146-56. PubMed PMID: 9190100.
- Foundas AL, Leonard CM, Mahoney SM, Agee OF, Heilman KM. Atrophy of the hippocampus, parietal cortex, and insula in Alzheimer’s disease: a volumetric magnetic resonance imaging study. Neuropsychiatry Neuropsychol Behav Neurol. 1997 Apr;10(2):81-9. PubMed PMID: 9150507.
- Foundas AL, Leonard CM, Gilmore RL, Fennell EB, Heilman KM. Pars triangularis asymmetry and language dominance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996 Jan 23;93(2):719-
- PubMed PMID: 8570622; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC40120.
- Foundas AL, Henchey R, Gilmore RL, Fennell EB, Heilman KM. Apraxia during Wada testing. Neurology. 1995 Jul;45(7):1379-83. PubMed PMID: 7617200.
- Foundas AL, Leonard CM, Gilmore R, Fennell E, Heilman KM. Planum temporale asymmetry and language dominance. Neuropsychologia. 1994 Oct;32(10):1225-31. PubMed PMID: 7845562.