Erich O. Richter, M.D., FAANS
Erich O. Richter, M.D. is a board certified Neurosurgeon with specialized training in functional neurosurgery. He is currently director of neurosurgery services at community-based hospitals and clinics in Southern Louisiana. Dr. Richter pursued undergraduate work in Electrical Engineering at the University of Florida in Gainesville. He completed his medical degree at the Ohio State University College of Medicine, and returned to the University of Florida College of Medicine for his residency training in Neurosurgery, where he received mentorship in the surgical treatment of Epilepsy under Stephen Roper, M.D. His fellowship training was at the University of Toronto under Andres Lozano, M.D., Ph.D. He held appointments at the University of Florida and Mercer Medical School before joining the Department of Neurosurgery at the LSU School of Medicine, where he served as the Director of Residency Training. He went on to be Associate Professor of Neurosurgery at the West Virginia University School of Medicine, where he also served as the Director of Residency Training. His area of clinical expertise is in the surgical management of patients with epilepsy and in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease using deep brain stimulation (DBS). He also specializes in surgical pain management by treating conditions of the spine. His research focus is on improving care and clinical outcomes in patients with epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, brain tumors, and traumatic brain injury. He is a Fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, and a member of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons. He has trained many medical students and resident physicians and has published widely in his areas of expertise.
- Crapanzano JT, Harrison-Bernard LM, Jones MR, Kaye AD, Richter EO, Potash MN. High Frequency Spinal Cord Stimulation for Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: A Case Report. Pain Physician. 2017 Jan-Feb;20(1):E177-E182. PubMed PMID: 28072810.
- Almon EB, Richter EO, Ashley DW, Christie DB 3rd. Penetrating Spinal Cord Trauma: A Unique Patient Presentation. Am Surg. 2016 Sep;82(9):e290-1. PubMed PMID: 27670552.
- Trahan J, Morales E, Richter EO, Tender GC. The effects of lumbar facet dowels on joint stiffness: a biomechanical study. Ochsner J. 2014 Spring;14(1):44-50. PubMed PMID: 24688332; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3963051.
- Atencio DC, Gachiani JM, Richter EO. Air embolus to arachnoid cyst as a rare delayed complication of intrathecal medication delivery. Neuromodulation. 2012 Jan-Feb;15(1):35-7. PubMed PMID: 22074392.
- Richter EO, Abramova MV, Aló KM. Percutaneous cephalocaudal implantation of epidural stimulation electrodes over sacral nerve roots--a technical note on the importance of the lateral approach. Neuromodulation. 2011 Jan;14(1):62-7. PubMed PMID: 21992164.
- Trahan J, Abramova MV, Richter EO, Steck JC. Feasibility of anterior cervical discectomy and fusion as an outpatient procedure. World Neurosurg. 2011 Jan;75(1):145-8. PMID: 21492679.
- Aló KM, Abramova MV, Richter EO. Percutaneous peripheral nerve stimulation. Prog Neurol Surg. 2011;24:41-57. Review. PubMed PMID: 21422775.
- Rahman M, Richter EO, Osawa S, Rhoton AL Jr. Anatomic study of the infraorbital foramen for radiofrequency neurotomy of the infraorbital nerve. Neurosurgery. 2009 May;64(5 Suppl 2):423-7. PubMed PMID: 19404120.
- Richter EO, Davis KD, Hamani C, Hutchison WD, Dostrovsky JO, Lozano AM. Cingulotomy for psychiatric disease: microelectrode guidance, a callosal reference system for documenting lesion location, and clinical results. Neurosurgery. 2008 Jun;62(6 Suppl 3):957-65. PubMed PMID: 18695581.
- Mericle RA, Richter EO, Eskioglu E, Watkins C, Prokai L, Batich C, Santra S. Preoperative endovascular brain mapping for intraoperative volumetric image guidance: preliminary concept and feasibility in animal models. J Neurosurg. 2006 Apr;104(4):566-73. PubMed PMID: 16619661.
- Richter EO, Pincus DW. Development of syringohydromyelia associated with Dandy-Walker malformation: treatment with cystoperitoneal shunt placement. Case report. J Neurosurg. 2006 Mar;104(3 Suppl):206-9. PubMed PMID: 16572641.
- Pincus DW, Richter EO, Yachnis AT, Bennett J, Bhatti MT, Smith A. Brainstem stereotactic biopsy sampling in children. J Neurosurg. 2006 Feb;104(2 Suppl):108-14. PubMed PMID: 16506498.
- Davis KD, Taylor KS, Hutchison WD, Dostrovsky JO, McAndrews MP, Richter EO, Lozano AM. Human anterior cingulate cortex neurons encode cognitive and emotional demands. J Neurosci. 2005 Sep 14;25(37):8402-6. PubMed PMID: 16162922.
- Hamani C, Richter EO, Andrade-Souza Y, Hutchison W, Saint-Cyr JA, Lozano AM. Correspondence of microelectrode mapping with magnetic resonance imaging for subthalamic nucleus procedures. Surg Neurol. 2005 Mar;63(3):249-53; discussion 253. PubMed PMID: 15734516.
- Richter EO, Hoque T, Halliday W, Lozano AM, Saint-Cyr JA. Determining the position and size of the subthalamic nucleus based on magnetic resonance imaging results in patients with advanced Parkinson disease. J Neurosurg. 2004 Mar;100(3):541-6. PubMed PMID: 15035292.
- Richter EO, Davis KD, Hamani C, Hutchison WD, Dostrovsky JO, Lozano AM. Cingulotomy for psychiatric disease: microelectrode guidance, a callosal reference system for documenting lesion location, and clinical results. Neurosurgery. 2004 Mar;54(3):622-28; discussion 628-30. PubMed PMID: 15028136.